Pages

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Stamp with your Embossing Folders

Sometimes I just can't find the colors in my patterned paper I want, or I am not happy with any patterns.  So I am always looking for a way to create my own backgrounds.  I have a ton of embossing folders, so I searched the internet for other techniques.  Here is one I found that I thought would be perfect, I have tons of embossing folders. So I did not create this technique, I don't even know who did, but there are tons of videos out there showing how to do this.


I am featuring "Unicorn Digi Stamp Set" from the Bugaboo Store.  First off, I used two of the png images to create my image.  The sentiment I created on my own with my own fonts.  I use Sure Cuts A Lot, but there are several tools that you can do this with, you will need to get to those special characters included with the fonts.  This font is "Lovely You" (free from Font Bundles) and "Georgia".

I actually stamped my image twice.  First with Versamark, then heat embossing, second with ink.  Do it however you like and make it your own.

Let's get to the instructions.  The following is a list of the tools needed, I have links to some products on Amazon (not always the best price), but you can get them anywhere and are not exactly the tools I used.


1.  Piece of card stock about 5" x 6 "
2.  Tim Holtz Distress inks of your choice (my preference, but any ink pad will do)
3. Embossing folder of your choice
4. Large acrylic stamping block (optional)
5.  Clear embossing powder 
6.  Heat gun 
7.  Versamark Ink
8.  Embossing powder tool
9.  Masking or painters tape (Dollar Tree)
10.  Tim Holtz Distress Ink Blending Tool
11.  Crafting Mat ( I use these for ironing on HTV too)
12.  Paper Towel

Directions:

Prepare your card stock for heat embossing powder before you stamp.  I used the EK Tools embossing powder tool, but there are several alternatives out there.  A real inexpensive alternative is some type of powder (Talc or baby powder) tied inside a baby sock, or any small sock you have.  This is an important step, it removes the static cling on the card stock, and helps prevent the embossing powder from sticking to areas that aren't inked.

Now open your embossing folder, and place the paper on the side you are not going to ink.  Tape it in place.  You will trim it down when it is finished.

Ink up the embossing folder, make sure to get a good coverage.   I dab the ink pad directly to the embossing folder.  I chose to ink the side that the outline was raised, I tried the other side and didn't really care for the results.


Now close the folder, and using the acrylic block or your hand, press the image onto the paper.

Be careful not to move the paper around.

Using good pressure with the heel of your hand, press all over to be sure the image is transferred.

Tip: If you use a brayer without the acrylic block, you will also get a slight impression in the card stock.


Remove the card stock from the folder and cover it with your embossing powder (I used a clear, but if you wanted you could use a color.)

Once you get a good coverage, tap the back to remove excess embossing powder.

Now using the heat tool, melt your embossing powder.  You can see the embossing powder start to shine as the  embossing powder melts.

Once it is completely melted and cool, (be sure it is dry) you are ready to ink.





Place the card stock on your craft mat and tape in place, using the same tape you had on the folder.

Now blend the inks in,  after each color wipe it with a paper towel to remove it from the stamped image.


Now you can leave it like this, stamp it again with a color.  I chose to use black to help bring out the colors.



And by all means, skip the embossing part and just blend your inks on a piece of card stock and just stamp the image with any color ink.

I have used this technique with stamps, which gives a much better stamped image.  I have so many embossing folders with lovely backgrounds I thought I would give this a try.  I actually did this once with a stripe on black card stock to cut out a pin stripe tuxedo for a wedding card.

So pull out those embossing folders and start creating some new patterned papers.

Challenges:

You only have a few days left for the Christmas in July at Bugaboo Stamps, all images are 50% off this month.  So hurry and get your stamps for the holidays.

Thanks for stopping by and check the challenge blog  for all of this week's challenges, prizes and inspiration.  Come on back and see what I create with Jodie's wonderful images so you too, can "Catch the Bug".  

Happy Craftin!




No comments:

Post a Comment