Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2017

Easy Shaker Card with Fuse Tool

Hi everyone,

It's been awhile, but I decided to give my blog another try.  Between just being lazy and the holidays, it seems I have struggled getting back to sharing my work.  I have still been making cards, I just shared them through Pinterest or Instagram.  I find that just as difficult as sharing on a blog, so here I go again.

In the future I will try to share everything I make, but I may not always provide a lot of details.  If you see something you are interested in and I didn't give much info, please post a comment and I will be sure to give you an answer.

Today I thought I would share how easy it was to make this shaker card.  I have been wanting to find an easier way, so I searched the internet and found several videos using the fuse tool.  I am probably late to the gate on this one, but OMG this was so easy.  I purchased my Fuse tool way back from HSN and it has been sitting in my closet, it was one of those items you just have to have and then realize you aren't going to use it, but it's too late to return.    Now I am so glad I have it,  it works great for shaker cards.

So here is my card I made using my my Cricut Explore.

I found a layered star image, I cut the inner star and then used the write feature to write the outer layer.  I used my Perfect Medium pen by Ranger, then added some Holographic embossing powder.  I should have used something that stood out a little more, but it's done.

I had created my "happy" sentiment in SCAL4, because I like to create layers with them.  But you could do the same thing in Design Space (DS).  The font I used was Ballerina, which is free on Dafont.com.  I cut 3 layers and glued them together, I find this easier than using pop dots on these little fonts.

I wrote out "Birthday" with my Cricut Fine tip pen, using Font "Headline News", which is part of ACCESS.  At least it is now, it is a new font.  I colored it in with my Spectrum Noir Markers and added clear Wink of Stella.

Now for a little information about making the pocket for the shaker.  The material you use can make a difference.  I tried some acrylic sheets, they just popped open, then I used a scrapbook photo sleeve from Hobby Lobby and I found it difficult to open to get the sequins in.  I noticed I had these little 2x2 photo pockets in my Fuse stash, so I tried them.  That made all the difference in the world.  Also, I found the fuse tool needed to get really hot.  I am no longer intimidated by shaker cards.  I also saw where you could use page protectors that go in binders from the office supply section, I have tons of those, I will try that next time.

Make sure your cut out is a minimum of 1/2" from all edges, I would recommend a little more.   I just fused the top opening, I didn't bother to go around all the edges of the design, but you could.  I used regular tape to adhere my pocket to the back of my card stock, then use foam tape to attach this layer to the card, to give it a little room for shaking.  There are tons of videos out there showing how to use the fuse tool for shaker cards, check them out on You Tube. You probably have something in your stash that would work.

So if if you haven't made a shaker card, what are you waiting for?  Go get you a Fuse tool with that Michaels or Hobby Lobby coupon and make one, you will love it.

Challenges:

My Favorite Things Sketch, #MFTWSC317 

Products Used:
Designer Card stock - 3 Birds Studio (Graceful Seasons) purchased from HSN
White Card Stock - Heavy Duty Paper Studios (Hobby Lobby)
Glitter Card stock - Recollections (Michaels)
Waterfall Photo Sleeves - We R Memory Keepers
Star enamel gems - CTMH
Sequins - "Ultimate Sequins Bundle" from A Cherry on Top
Spectrum Noir Alcohol Markers - Consumer Crafts

Till next time,

Happy Craftin!





No comments:

Post a Comment