This was definitely a time consuming project, and I finally decided to reduce the number of pages I had planned. I decided I would create more pages later to add and replace as she grows. If you have thoughts of doing this for the little one's in your life, expect to spend a few months perfecting it.
Of course, this wasn't the only project I was working on, so it could have taken a little less time, but in the end it was worth it. Some of my pages were created using my Cricut Explore and others were cut from templates I found on the internet. All of my pages were inspired from other work I found on Pinterest. I added links to the materials so you can see what they look like., but I purchased everything from my local Hobby Lobby, Walmart and Hancock Fabrics.
All of my pages were finished at 10x10", smaller would have been too difficult to work with and larger would have made the book too big for a 2 year old. The cover was approx 25 x 11, but this is determined by how may pages you add and how much bulk is in your book.
I chose to make a quilted cover instead of canvas type material, mainly because I already had the material from a quilting project. I added a piece of Decor Bond (Heavy weight interfacing) to the quilt sandwich for stability and shape. I started with a rectangle a couple inches larger than I needed and once I was ready to put it together I trimmed it down. Be sure to include about 1" to the front and back for overlapping the pages and of course about 3-4 inches for the spine. I just made a square a little larger than I wanted the finished product. I sandwiched my pieces together and quilted in a diagonal direction. I added a piece oover the back to cover some sewing that was showing from inserting the center piece on the inside.
I used a Decor Bond or a stiff interfacing in my square to give the cover a little firmness. The pages are held in the book using D rings I purchased from my local sewing store. I liked the idea that one side was flat, and the pages didn't stick out quite so far. I don't have a picture but I sewed a piece to the inside of the the book binding area and used button holes to place my rings. I have added links below that I used for instructions and ideas on putting this book together.
I want to apologize for my photos, I dropped my good camera and now I am working with my iPhone or a small little point and shot. I added a monogram to the front and used 1 1/2" ribbon for the handles. I used a quilting binding method to finish off my rectangle.
If I ever do another one of these I will think things through a little more, I sort of did things a little out of sequence. Here are my steps I would follow, I hope this helps. Quilt your block or finish the cover in your preferred material. Now you can add your handles, I used 1 large piece of 1 1/2 inch ribbon and put the connection on the spine, since I was going to cover it. Add the velcro to the front if you are add a closure tab. Now you are ready to add the pocket, be sure you hem on edge or fold a piece of material in half, with the unfinished edges along the bottom of the book. You only need to baste this in place. Add your inside spine to, be sure to already have the button holes in place. Attach your flap to the back side of cover. Now add the binding to the outside, make it over lap the front about 1 inch. Sew a seam down each edge that represents the fold of your book. Now add your binding all around the cover making sure the straps aren't in the way.
Here are my pages. I used a combination of 100% cotton, iron on vinyl (HTV) and felt. Some of my pieces I attached to Heavy Duty Ultra Firm Pellon (#65 or 70), it is very stiff and doesn't fold well or stiffened felt I found at my local hobby store. I also, used this in between my pages so they were firm.
Each page was backed with a fusible Heavy Duty Stabilizer. This gave me something firmer to attach buttons and snaps to.
All of the above pages were made with my cricut explore except for the mail box and piggy bank. I could have created an svg for these pages, but it was quicker and easier to just cut by hand. The dog was from Create a Critter, the shoes are from My Quiet Book, I can't remember where the purse came from, but it was in my subsription.
I also used my Cricut explore for all of the above pages, the last page was put together using iron on vinyl.
My page sandwich is as follows Finished page, Decor Bond, Heavy duty Ultra firm stabilizer, Decor Bond, finished page. Fuse your blank page to the Decor Bond before attaching your pieces.
I used ric rac trim around the edges and sewed the above sandwich together with about aa 1/8" seam allowance. My cotton may fray a little, but I figure it will only add character to the book. I used my Crop-a Dile to put the holes and eyelets on each page. I cut out a template with my Explore so I knew where to place the holes.
I got the bulk of my ideas from the following websites. These are just a few, and there are many more techniques. I have been sewing for a number of years, but it really isn't that difficult to make a quilted cover, search on quilt as you go websites for quick ways to make quilting blocks. Check out Pinterest and google on Quiet Book pages, you will find everything you need for Free on the internet as far as instructions and templates go. Plus, there are thousands of ideas and pictures to give you inspiration.
Hope you enjoyed my little endeavor.
Don't forget in the month of January you can earn extra hostess rewards. And of course our special celebrating National Scrapbooking Month.
And of course January's Stamp of the Month. Only $5 with a $50 purchase.
There is still time to get that special paper pack for Valentine's Day.
Get your CTMH products HERE!