Pages

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Celebrate Birthday's with Cricut Explore

My Granddaughter recently had a birthday and we celebrated by going to Chuck E. Cheese.  I didn't let that deter me from making some party decorations.

With flu season at its peak, we always opt for cupcakes.  No germs being spread this way.  Of course, the best way to showcase your cupcakes is a cup cake tower.  I have two towers that I purchased from Amazon for a great price.  I have gotten my money's worth.  I really need to invest in a really nice tower for more formal parties.

Anyway, I love decorating my cupcakes or show case them.  I made a top piece the year before for Taylor's first birthday, this year I opted for a little smaller design, I wanted to be able to put cupcakes on the top layer.  So I used a simple can, some styrofoam and my Cricut Explore.




The wrappers are from the Cricut Cartridge Princess Party, image #M46443, which is part of your subscription.  I cut them at 3.5" H.  This particular wrapper had a cutout, which I removed with the hide/contour feature.  Then added a flourish for decoration.  Instead of cutting the flourish I changed the image to write  instead of cut and used the Cricut purple metallic marker.    This eliminated a lot of cutting and gluing.  
I was able to maneuver them around to get 5 out of a 12x12 piece of card stock.  Place each cupcake wrapper on your mat and move them around, use the attach feature to attach them together and they will appear on the mat just like you want them to.  You may receive a message that the image is too  large for 12x12 mat, just be sure it is within the 12x12 measurements, and shift your paper over about 1/4".   Here is how they were laid out on my mat.

For the topper you are actually making a center piece, except it is really only one sided.  I started to make it viewable from all sides, but I made my rosettes too large for the container I was using.   I started with an empty and cleaned tomato sauce can, with both the top and bottom cut out.  My can opener makes a clean cut that isn't sharp.  If your can opener doesn't do this I would recommend using something else.   I covered it with card stock and  wrapped it with a castle cutout.   

Floral foam works really great for this, plus this foam hold things in place much better.  I had some, but you can pickup a block at Walmart or your local hobby store.  I just pressed the can over the foam to cut out the piece for inside the can.  I pressed it on top of the tower to make an impression of the part I needed to cut out.  I just took a knife and whittled it away until it fit properly.  

I used wooden shiskabob sticks as stakes, I attached the rosettes to the sticks with hot glue.   I stuffed tissue paper between the sticks to hide the styrofoam.  






The Rosettes were from Ribbons and Rosettes, image #M4751F .  I welded three of them together to eliminate too many seams.  My rosettes were cut at 1.75 and 1.50, I would  make the a little smaller next time so I could add other type of elements, such as 3D stars.

I cut out different images that were princess themed and of course a 2 and made her name to decorate the rosettes.  Added a little pipe cleaner, which I rolled around a pencil to make the curly shapes.  

This would be great for any type party you are planning.  Just cut out your decorations to match your theme.  You don't have to use rosettes, you can use anything.  Words, images, or any 3D objects, let your imagination soar.

The best part, is that the tower and decorations are easy to transport and people love cupcakes.  My favorite is the Darn Good Chocolate cake recipe from the Cake Mix Doctor.  I always get high p raises when I bring these cupcakes.  The only thing I do different from Anne's recipe is use Swiss Chocolate cake mix from Duncan Hines and Ghirabaldi mini chocolate chips.  Yum!

Just a couple more days to get this month's Stamp of the Month.  Only $5 with a $50 purchase.


Only 2 months left to make purchases from our Seasonal Expressions 1 Idea Book and if you place an order this month you can get a copy of both Idea books free.  There are two great paper packs available only during this period.


Seasonal Expressions 1 - Dec 1, 2014 - Mar 31, 2015

Please drop by and shop with me!

Until next time,

Happy Craftin!






No comments:

Post a Comment