Pages

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Cutting Fabric with the Cricut Explore

If you look on my Pinterest account you will see that I love to applique on my quilts for the kids.  Back when I had my E2 I tried several methods to cut with my Cricut.  I could never achieve a clean cut.  So I cut all my appliques out of paper and traced on to the heat n bond backing that was on my material.  It was tedious work.

Well NO MORE!  I just cut fabric with my Cricut Explore and it cut like butter.  I cut 100% cotton and no snags.


I starched my material to give it a little stiffness, then applied Heat N Bond to the back of the fabric.  I intend to stitch around the appliques so I used Heat N Bond Lite.  I removed the paper backing from the fabric and placed the bonded (shiny) side down, so it wasn't necessary to mirror my letters.

I selected Fabric on the dial and pressed GO.  It cut great as you can see in the pictures.  I would definitely recommend a new mat or really sticky one.  I also, used a new blade (Roland German Carbide 45 degree).  I decided to dedicate my like new mat and new blade for material cutting only.  For you sewers out there, you know using your scissors on paper dulls them fast.  I wouldn't cut paper with my sewing scissors, so I won't cut paper with my fabric blade.  When it starts to get dull, I'll graduate it to the paper blade pile.

Here is the finished project.

So I am now thinking about more material appliques on my Grand daughters clothing.

If you need any help or have questions you can email me or just post a comment her.

Until next time!

Happy Craftin!

No comments:

Post a Comment