Pages

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Minnie Mouse Birthday Decoration for a cupcake tower

For my grand daughter's birthday we decided to do cupcakes because we were going to be in an outdoor venue.  The cupcakes were displayed on a cupcake tower, that I decorated with this cute Minnie Mouse arrangement. I used the top layer of the tower for the base of my arrangement.

To make the cake layers cut two circles out of Styrofoam, making the top layer about an inch smaller.  I used packing styrofoam I had in a box in the attic, that wasn't the right depth so I had to cut 4 circles and tape them together.  Do this outside, because it makes a mess.  On the bottom layer I cut out a hole to fit over the center piece of the tower.  I used double sided tape to hold the two layers together; the hot glue just melted the Styrofoam.  I wrapped the layers with strips of card stock cut at about 1 3/4" x 12" (this will depend on the height of your layers). For the top I cut out large scalloped circles with my Spellbinders Grand Nestabilites Large Scalloped Circles(LF-124). I used the two larger dies, which fit perfectly on the top.  I scored each little scallop so that I could fold them over the side like icing was decorating a cake layer.  I purchased Kabob skewers to hold the cut outs.  I just broke them to the length needed to get the staggered affect. I prefer my Scoth Tape Glider for this, but any double sided tape should work, if not use a little hot glue. I purchased a 3 foot length of the wired garland at Party City and cut it into several pieces. Since it was wired I didn't have to add anything to the bottom to stick it in the Styrofoam. To get the twirls, wrap your garland around a pencil or ¼” dowel rod, then slip it off.  Pull on the twirl to open it up to the desired look.  

In the center of the top layer is a Styrofoam ball (3 inches) that I cut in half, I used this to hold all my decorations in place.  The skewers were pushed in the ball as close together as possible, after everything was in place I finished it off with tissue paper.  I took a sheet of tissue paper and cut it into 4 pieces and used 2 pieces to wrap around the ball and tied it together with ribbon.    It not only hid the ball, but added a back drop to Minnie.  I did this in purple to give a little more color to the arrangement.   I used little squares of pink tulle to make the  ruffle around the top layer to hide the seem of the two layers.  I used a 2 inch square and twisted it to make it fluff,  then hot glued it in place.  Next time I would use a little more color so it stands out more.  The closer you place the tulle pieces together, the thicker the ruffle will be.  Then add what ever little things on the layers to give it pizazz.   I used mickey heads that were cut at about 2 inches. I added flowers (cut at ¾” and 1 inch) and a birthday sentiment to the bottom layer.  

Cricut Artbooking Collection
The word birthday was cut using the Cricut Artbooking cartridge (cut at 2 1/2 inches real dial size) from Close to My Heart and Minnie Mouse cut at about 6 inches from the Mickey and Friends cartridge.  All the other cut outs were cut from the Mickey and Friends and Mickey Font cartridges.  I added flowers to the wired stars just to make it a little fuller, by hot gluing them around sporadically. 

Cricut Artiste Collection
My cupcake wrappers were cut using the Artiste cartridge. I cut them at about 2 inches, next time I might try 1.75", because they were a little big. This cartridge is amazing, it has everything you need for a Do It Yourself party.  I use it quite a bit since I purchased it.

Everything came out really cute and it wasn't very expensive.  I was lucky to purchase my paper on sale at Michaels when it was 6 sheets for a $1.00. For more pictures and ideas see my creations on Pinterest. 

Till next time.


Happy Craftin! 

No comments:

Post a Comment