Tools I used:
Cricut Expression 2 and Cricut Craft Room (CCR)
Cricut cartridges used: Disney - Mickey & Friends
Disney - Mickey Fonts
Spool of Tulle - light pink
12 sheets 8 1/2 x 11 black paper
4 sheets of 12 x 12 patterned paper
8 sheets of 12 x 12 coordinating solid paper (shadowing and scalloped circles)
My grand daughter just turned one this month. It was a very exciting time for me; she is my only grandchild. So being the proud Mimi I am, I wanted to make her first birthday special. Mom and Dad decided that Minnie Mouse would be the theme, in pink and white.
Finding pink and white polka dot paper during the winter months was difficult, but Michaels came through. I caught it on sale too. I can’t take credit for the design of the birthday banner, I got that idea from searching the internet. I saw so many versions and then came up with my take on it.
I used my Cricut to cut everything. I used Mickey and Friends for the Mickey heads and bows and the Mickey Font for the lettering. I cut the Mickey heads at 5 inches and the bows and lettering are 2 1/2 inches. I punched holes in the ears and used tulle to string it all together.
This Minnie was cut using the Mickey font cartridge at about 6 inches. I can’t remember exact size, the 5 inch size wasn’t an exact fit with the Mickey heads so I adjusted until it was about same size. I added a little blush to her cheeks with chalk.
This Minnie was cut at 7 inches. The background was cut using the Grand Nestabilities – Grand Scallop Circles (LF-124 I found this for a great price on Amazon $21, other wise shop Jo Ann’s they put these on sale 50% off). I used the two largest dies. You can cut this with your Cricut too, but I find the scallops aren’t as perfect.
I tacked it on the wall to decide where to punch the holes and adjust the drape. I think it came out adorable.
I then punched holes (single hole punch used to punch holes in paper for binders) to put the tulle through so everything would hang just right.
All the bows and lettering have a shadow layer, I did this to make them a little sturdier. The printed paper was a little too light weight. Since Mickey font is kind of quirky I didn’t really worry about how I placed the letters. It really didn’t take much time to do once I decided on size and design. I used four sheets (12x12) of printed paper for the lettering and bows. You will need four sheets of solid for shading also. I had 8 ½ x 11 paper for the Mickey heads (purchased a pack of black paper at Michaels when it was on sale). If you use the scallop circles you will need another 4 sheets of paper (8 ½ will work for this). If you get your paper on sale like I did it is very inexpensive. I purchased the tulle from Hobby Lobby when it was on sale too. So I would say this cost me less than $10.
Hope you like it, I sure enjoyed making it. I got rave reviews at the party. Of course the little one could have cared less, but Mimi will be scrapping the whole event.