Pages

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Snowglobe Easel Shaker Card

Shaker Card Meets Easel


I have been wanting to make a shaker card for awhile, and what better way, but to incorporate a snow globe.  I found a cute one at Paperpiecingmemoriesbybabs .   So this wasn't my inspiration,  but it gave me a great idea.  I just took it a step further and made it an easel card, since they are all the rage now.  Plus, they are much easier to keep on your mantel.

I have a subscription to Design Space so I used images that are included with the monthly subscription.  

Here is a list of cartridges and images.

Snow Globe - Holly and Ivy Image #MA8D25

Circle and circle frame - Days and Dates 

Snowflake tag - Classroom, Dec-Jan. 

Snow drift - Plantin Schoolbook , slice of grass image.

Olaf was an svg I got from my Facebook groups, not sure exactly where, but you can find them everywhere.  If not, use a plain snow man or anything else you may want.

If you have these cartridges or a subscription, feel free to use the file below, it will save you some work.  I removed everything that was not allowed to be shared.  If you don't have a subscription you can still open the file, you just can't cut without paying. 


I made the card base by welding two of the snow globe images together as you can see in the screen shot below.


I used the hide contour and slice feature to create the pieces for my globe and to split the background drawing into two parts.

In the picture above you see how my pieces look.

The scenery was fine as one image, but when I tried to trace the snow flurries to emboss I wasn't happy with the affect.  My hand is just not that steady.  That was the main reason for splitting the drawing into two images.  It was a little tedious and time consuming, but it looks much nicer when you let the Cricut Explore do the drawing.   I duplicated the image and removed the trees and house, then repeated this and removed the snow flurries.   Keep everything in place and attach both of these images together, it will prompt you to change pens when you get ready to cut your pieces. 

As you can see below, here are my card basic pieces, except for the acetate sheet and circles to form the globe.



I used Tim Holtz Perfect Medium pen to draw the snow flurries, it fits perfectly in your Cricut Explore without any adapting.  You have plenty of time to add your  embossing powder after it cuts.   Then I changed to my Cricut fine point black pen for the houses and trees and colored them in with my CTMH water color pencils and blending pen.

Craft foam was perfect to add the height and space for the tinsel glitter.  It cut ok with my Explore, I had to clean it a little, the cuts weren't smooth.  Could be I didn't have a new blade in.  I used a custom setting for craft foam and the deep cut blade and housing. My chip board wasn't thick enough to allow the glitter to shake around. 

The glitter is Recollections Tinsel Glitter, they have several brands so whatever you can find.

The Merry Christmas sentiment I picked up at Michaels, but you can use any sentiment you have or cut one out.

Be sure to layer your background and card base to the card before you adhere the foam and acetate on.

Card, globe base, globe background, foam, acetate, white overlay.  

Also, please don’t forget your glitter before you put the acetate on, use about a teaspoon.  I used tape to attach the acetate, only because the glue was messy and it can ruin the front if you use too much.

This wasn’t a simple card to make, but if you have patience you can give it a try.

Hope you enjoyed it, if you have any specific questions, please feel free to contact me or post it below.  I will do my best to help you out.

Don’t forget, I am offering my Split Chevron Fleur di Lis file to all my CTMH customers.  All you have to do is place a minimum $25 order with me on my my ez-invite online gathering - “Kim’s Holiday Gathering”,  by Dec 3, 2014.  You will be prompted to join a gathering when you add an item to your cart, just be sure you are attached to the correct gathering at this time.  Please hurry, this offer expires when my gathering ends on December 3, 2014.  
Till next time,

Happy Craftin!



1 comment: