Pages

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Scaredy Cat Halloween Scrapbook Layout

I decided to take on the August challenge from Take Heart Ideas, the challenge for this month was to  create something with the sketch you see below.  It could be anything you wanted, with only one rule, you had to use at least one Close to My Heart product.  

You don’t get dimensions for the layout, mainly because they want to see how you can create your layout following their sketch.  I stayed pretty true to the original layout.  

I thought this layout would work perfect for my Halloween layout.  The only downside is that I don't have any photos for it yet.  So I am submitting this without photos.  I hope it doesn't hurt my chances of winning.  

I started with a large spider web, lucky for me they have a great image of a spider web (Artiste #M3C2D3) on the Cricut Artiste collection cartridge from Close to My Heart.  I used this image and sized it about 8 1/2” wide.  

The spider web wasn’t exactly like I envisioned, so I made a few modifications.  I wanted it to look like it was attached to all sides of the page, so I inserted a rectangle image and sized it to fit on the end of the web arms.  Using the scrapbook page canvas in Design Space I sized my rectangles as needed and then welded each one on the ends of the web. I had to nip a few little connections to smooth it out, I couldn't get the welds perfect.

As you can see, it really made a difference instead of having the web just sitting there on the page.

I sized everything else in Design Space, but cut my rectangles with my paper cutter instead of my Explore.  The dimensions I used are as follows; the bottom rectangle is 3"x11", the horizontal picture mat is 3"x5" and the vertical picture mat is 4"x6".

I used a 2" circle for the moon (paper - Sunset) and used the markers to trace around it, this was for shading.  I did the same for the Trick or Treat (Artbooking #M3E0BC, paper - Thistle).  The bats (Artbooking #M46F6B) are applied with pop-dots. The small spider was cut at 1” wide (Artiste #M3C33C - purple glitter).

I cut my pennants at about 1” wide.  They are from the Art Philosophy cartridge.  I choose to cut the ones with holes already on the image because I never seem to line the holes straight when  punching them. I used black hemp leftover from the Laughing Lola to string my pennants and attached them to
brads, by wrapping the the hemp around and then tightening them.

The fence (Artbooking - M3F1D7, paper - Slate) is cut out of chip board (cereal box with deep cut blade) at 2.8” W and traced with the ShinHan Twin Touch marker "Warm Grey".  I applied this with pop-dots too. The jack-o'-lantern (#M4483C) is cut from Sunset and Thistle at 1.4” wide. The cat (Artbooking #M46898 paper - black) at 1.3” wide. 

In the end, I think everything I used was Close to My Heart, except the glitter paper and brads.   All the images on this page are from the Close to my Heart collections.  I don’t have a subscription at this time so the only Halloween images I have are on these cartridges.  All the paper used is available in the Scardey Cat paper packet with the exception of the purple glitter.

Here are the products I used:
Cartridges Cricut Artiste and Artbooking collection by Close to My Heart
Purple glitter paper (Paper Studio Glitter Paper pack)
ShinHan Touch Twin Markers (CTMH alcohol markers), in Warm Grey, Black, Marigold
Pop dots
Black Hemp (Laughing Lola - no longer available)
Purple glitter gems
Brads

All in all, I think it came out really cute.  I can't wait to get some pictures to put on it.  I want to thank the Take Heart Ideas blog for the challenge.  It really helped me envision a layout I probably wouldn't have thought of otherwise.  I will definitely take on more of these challenges in the future.


If you have access to the Close to My Heart cartridges feel free to use my Design Space file I have linked below, or you can purchase them here!

Trick or Treat Layout - https://us.cricut.com/design/#/canvas/project/19613693

Hope you like my layout and use it to inspire yours.

Happy Craftin!

5 comments:

  1. Love, love, love this! This makes me even more glad I just got the Artiste cartridge! Thanks for joining us over at TakeHeartideas(dot)com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cute. I have not started working with Scaredy Cat yet, but can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, this is really cute paper. I have a few more projects I am going to try with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this layout! I'm really glad you won last month!

    ReplyDelete