Pages

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Mother's Day Flower Pot Card with Display Stand




I made this flower pot card from instructions I found on the internet.  I found a PDF file created by Stephanie Luman, with pictures that were very easy to follow.   I modified it a little, but her card and instructions inspired me.   I used a  9 1/2 x 3 3/4 inch piece of card stock for the flower pot and scored it at 1 1/2" for the flower pot rim and 5 1/2" for the card.  Then I cut from the edge of the rim to the bottom at an angle, I cut off 1/2" at the bottom.  I used a very tiny bit of glue on the edges to hold the pot together on the sides and tape to hold down the rim.   I taped the ends of my ribbon under the stand on the back so it wouldn't be as noticeable.

The card insert I cut at about 6" x 3".  Since I was using a few more flowers I needed more room to glue them on.  I saw where someone cut a circle in half and attached it to the card insert, so I did the same thing.   I used a Spellbinders die to cut out the circle that was the same width as the top of the card.  I cut this circle in half and taped it to both sides of the card insert.  It gave me a really good background to glue my flowers to.

I used flowers from Mother's Day Bouquet cartridge, a flower from an SVG file and the Flower Shoppe cartridge.  The 2 pink flowers I made following instructions on Mainly Flowers blog.  There are quite a few tutorials on several flowers on this blog, she does absolutely beautiful work.  I didn't have the punch she used so I made a similar pattern cut out using a circle and petals from the Flower Shoppe cartridges.  I used scraps of paper I had laying around to make my flowers, or you could use white and color them with ink pads using a dauber.

Of course, any flower you like can be used.  There are several samples on the internet at Pinterest.  I just liked these particular ones.  I added shading and glitter to dress them up.

I wanted a stand on my card so it could be displayed easily.  I couldn't find any written instructions but I saw a few pictures.  I played around a little and came up with this stand.   Cut a piece of card stock 9 1/2 x 1  to 1-1/2 inch wide.  Score at 1/2", 4", 5", 6" and 9".  Then fold both the 1/2" score lines in the same direction and the middle as shown below.  This will make a shape of a W.



One side will be about 1/2" taller than the other side, this is the top of your stand.  So put tape on the shorter end and both 1/2" flaps, all on the same side. When you lay it against the card all the taped layers should stick to the back of the card.  As you can see,  it makes a nice little stand.



I cut a layered scalloped oval at 1 1/2" for my sentiment.  I tied it with a decorative cord and attached it to the ribbon.  The card is really simple to make, the flowers can be as easy or as difficult as you like.  Check out all the different versions on Pinterest and then come up with your own version.  Maybe use your Mom's favorite flower.

My finished card measured a little under 5x7, so I can fit it in a 5x7 envelope.  Just be sure to have your envelope close by so when you lay out your flowers it will fit.

Be sure to check out the new promotions for May at Close to My Heart.

Here is a preview of the paper you receive in this packet.





Till next time.

Happy Craftin!

1 comment: