Pages

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Beer Mug Birthday Card Using Cricut



I wanted to create a beer mug card for my brother’s birthday.  I saw quite a few on the internet, but most of them were made using punches. that I didn't have.   Design Space made it easy since I have 3 months free subscription to see what I could come up with.  Most of the cuts were from my own cartridges, but if I ever have to make another one I will only have to purchase one image.

The beer mug is a modified Coffee mug image (#M3BDCD) that I found on the “Love you a Latte” cartridge.  First I ungrouped the image and got rid of all the layers but the basic mug. I stretched the mug image to about 4.5 inches tall and adjusted the width to about 4.1 inches.  I think it looked more like a beer mug at this size.  I welded an oval to the top of the cup so I would have something to attach the bubbles to.  I copied this image  to make the card.  I made it just a tad larger, like a shadow image and removed the opening in the handle using the Hide Contour feature.  I copied this image to give me two images to make the card.  These two images I butted up side by side and welded them together.  In DS you have to hide features before you weld, once you have welded an image you can’t hide any features.  

The bubbles (#M2F96B) are from the Disney “Dreams Do Come True” cartridge.  I own this cartridge so I was able to use these images.  You can use different size circles and make your own bubbles if you don't own this cartridge.  I cut out about 9 sets of bubbles in various sizes ranging from 1.5 - 2 inches.  The shadow layer was cut white and I used an amber colored ink pad to give it the look of beer.  The top layer was also white and I added Stickles to the bubbles for shine.  

The grooves were cut from CTMH Artiste cartridge, I used a label image at approx.  3.3 inches high and removed holes with the Hide Contour feature.  I played with the size to get them to fit right.  

I printed the Happy Birthday using the Cricut Alphabet font, I selected the writing tool and used the fine point black Cricut Pen.  I would love to see a thicker black pen for certain applications, like outlining or printing simple messages.  I noticed my black pen made a little spot on another area of my image, not sure how that happened, because it doesn’t happen with the other pens.  I need to call Customer service about this. You can stamp happy birthday, which I was going to do, but none of my stamps fit the label. 

I had to cut out a few circles with my circle punch, so I wouldn’t have a black background between some bubbles.  Glued everything together with my Tombo Mono Aqua adhesive, this seems to be my go to glue.  I always seem to go back to this glue after trying something else, you have a little time to move things around before it becomes a problem.  I was so glad I could create this beer mug with my Cricut, because I was going to have to do it by hand otherwise.

The finished card is about 6.25 x 4.5 inches, you should be able to find an envelope to fit it.  I had some envelopes left over from Christmas cards I purchased a few years back.  So glad I didn't throw them away.

   

Till next time.


Happy Craftin!

No comments:

Post a Comment