Pages

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Baby Shower gift with matching bag and card.

I made this cute quilt and car seat canopy for a baby girl shower gift using the nursery theme as my inspiration. I wanted the elephant the same as the bedding so I made my own pattern from a picture of the bedding I downloaded off the Internet.  




I saved the image to file then opened it in my photo software so I could crop it down to 1 elephant.   Then I imported the file into a Word document using “insert picture from file method”, which gives me easy control of the size of the picture.

 
Now you are ready to save and print out your pattern. Don’t worry if the picture isn’t real clear, as long as the image shape is usable you have a pattern.

The quilt was so easy to make, all you need to know how to do is sew a straight line.   I found this great technique on the Internet, it was developed by Marguarita McManus called Crazy Shortcut Quilts as You Go Method.  Ever since finding this method I have been excited about making quilts.  Check out her blog for inspiration and where to buy her book.  I even converted my Mom, she wasn’t sure she would care for it, but after we put my niece’s quilt together she was sold.  I have to get a picture of that one.  We appliqued about 20 animals on it, about 15 came from the Create a Critter Cartridge.

Back to my quilt, the pinwheels were surprisingly easy too, I used a simple method I found on the Internet, at Valerie's Custom Quilting website.  Just look under tutorials for the Pinwheel PDF file. She provides very clear step by step instructions for making pinwheels.  I started with 7 ½ inch squares to make my pinwheels, so I ended up with about a 13 inch square.  The outside border was 4” and the inside border was 2 ½ inches.  I sewed the border around the pinwheel square to make about an 18 1/2” square.  I trimmed the squares to square them up to 18 inches.  The middle was 2 - 8 inch squares and a 13 ½ x 8 inch rectangle, the center strips by the name were 2 ½ inches. The outer strips were 4 inches, the same as the other squares.  I sewed all the middle pieces together to make it one square.  I then used the Quilt as you go technique to connect it all together. 

I used Cricut “Mickey Font” Cartridge to cut out the name in lower case. The letters are about 3 inches (you may have to adjust this size based on the name).   I really love that font for the little ones.  It is so whimsical, plus it is so easy to cut out and sew when appliqueing on quilts.  I use the blanket stitch around my letters to sew them on, be sure to do this before quilting.  This was my first quilt and I think it came out great.  The finished size was about 36x48 inches; it is perfect for tummy time at Grandma’s house.   

For the car seat canopy I used the same material and theme as the quilt.   I used a canopy pattern I found on the Internet.  It was developed by a wonderful lady, Calli, who took the time to write out the instructions and share them with us.   Be sure to check it out on her blog Make it Do., she has a lot of great things on there.

I wanted to personalize it, so I used my Brother SE-400 to embroider the baby’s name on the material I was using for the elephant.  I did this on the material before I cut out the elephant.   I attached the elephant using Heat’nBond Lite and used a blanket stitch around it to permanently adhere it.  If you know someone who has an embroidery machine you can have it embroidered before sewing it together.  I myself am a novice at embroidering, I have only figured out small names. 
  
To finish off the gift, I decided to make a gift bag and card using the same theme.

I purchased a simple gift bag in purple at Wal-Mart and decorated it myself.    I used the Cricut Elegant Edges cartridge for the white circle cut at 11 inches.  The flowers were cut from the Spellbinders Grand Calibur Carnation Creations dies (just 2 layers). I curled the edges of the flowers to add dimension and connected the layers with white brads. These dies will also cut fine in the Cuttlebug; none of the dies are too large to fit on the 5x7 plate.  I also used the same font for the name. 



For the card I used “A Child's Year” cartridge to cut the card itself; the tag was cut from the Winter Frolic cartridge, but there are tags on several cartridges.  The scallop layers on the tag were cut using Spellbinders “Scalloped Rectangles”. I made the tag about 5”, but I had a large bag.  I used purple glitter paper and a pink polka dot paper on white card stock.  I had a congratulations stamp lying around I used or you could print it with your favorite font on the card stock before you cut it to size.   You can’t tell from the picture but the elephant is attached with pop dots.

The gifts were a big hit at the shower, the parents even framed the gift bag to hang on the nursery wall.  They thought it was too cute to throw away.  It is always a pleasure to have your gifts treasured so much.  That’s why I love giving things I made myself. 

Till next time

Happy Craftin”




No comments:

Post a Comment